With Alfisti living in the US eagerly awaiting the new 4C sports coupe to go on sale in this market, it’s an opportune time to reflect on the last Alfa Romeo sold new in this country in high volume, the 164. This 1995 164LS 5-speed has just over 100,000 miles on the clock and benefitted from a recent respray and servicing from a local Alfa/Ferrari specialist.
Engine: 3.0 liter V6
Transmission: 5-speed manual
Mileage: 107,294 miles
Price: Reserve auction
CLICK FOR DETAILS:1995 Alfa Romeo 164LS
1995 Alfa Romeo 164 LS. Very Well Maintained Rare 164 LS Alfa Sports Sedan / 5 Speed! Serviced by Continental Motors (Local Alfa, Ferrari Repair Facility). Original Classic Italian Alfa Red (Rosso) / Tan Leather. Loaded!
NOTE: Our listings sometimes get rather lengthy. However, we continually hear from out of state / out of country buyers (many of our clients) that they prefer the level of detail that we provide. However, if you are not prepared to read multiple pages of description, we ask that you review the "Specifications" on the car along with viewing the photos. Also, if you'd prefer, please call us at 925-846-1451 and we'll gladly discuss the Alfa 164 LS and answer any questions over the telephone, including about our Buy it Now policies. Yes, the Alfa Romeo can be purchased prior to the end of the eBay auction. Again, please give us a call for details.
ALSO, PLEASE NOTE: EACH TIME WE LIST A VEHICLE ON eBay WE RECEIVE COMMENTS THAT THERE ARE NO PHOTOS OF THE INTERIOR, ENGINE, UNDERCARRIAGE, ETC. OF THE CAR. THERE ARE 100 PHOTOS OF ALL AREAS OF THE CAR BUT, WHEN YOU REACH WHAT APPEARS TO BE THE LAST PHOTO, YOU WILL NEED TO SCROLL TO VIEW THE REMAINING PHOTOS. IF YOU ARE STILL UNABLE TO SEE THE PHOTOS, PLEASE CALL US AND WE WILL PROVIDE A LINK FOR THE PHOTOS (IT IS A VIOLATION OF eBay POLICY TO LIST THE URL ON THE eBay LISTING).
All of our photos are taken in natural light and we do not "Photo-Shop" or touch-up the photos in any way. The cosmetic quality of this 1995 Alfa 164 LS (both inside & out) is beautiful and reflects the care that the car has received.
The "madness" will soon be underway in the various auction venues around the country. We often times see a wide range of collectible cars / special interest cars sell for inflated amounts in the "heat of the moment." This car is offered at a realistic price and, unlike bidding on cars in an auction environment, you will have the benefit of extensive information & history on the car prior to making a buying decision. If you are not comfortable with risking the purchase of a vehicle that has simply rolled across the auction block we ask that you consider the benefit of dealing with a credible collector car specialist with a documented history of accurate and complete descriptions.
HISTORY OF THE ALFA ROMEO 164
The Alfa Romeo 164 was styled by Enrico Fumia at Pininfarina in 1982. The 164 can be seen as the logical extension and successor of the Alfetta, particularly the late-model "long nose, square light."
The 164 was the first Alfa to feature extensive use of computer aided design for calculating structural stresses, resulting in a very rigid but still relatively lightweight body. The 164 was the basis of the Type Four platform, which it shares with Lancia Thema, Fiat Croma and Saab 9000. Being the last to reach the market, the 164's body shell was the most aerodynamic of the four, and had a markedly sleeker profile and lower coefficient of drag. In order to permit this design variation, an exclusive front suspension was developed.
The 164 was the first of the "new technology" Alfa Romeos, and is the technological and styling basis of all Alfa's to the present day. The 164 also introduced dramatically improved build quality over previous Alfa's, featuring galvanized steel frame and various body panels for the first time, ending the most common complaint by Alfa customers about rust problems encountered in older models such as the Alfasud and the GTV. As a top-line saloon, the car proved it to be as a comfortable and sure-footed car, with a distinctively sporting character, consistent with the marque's tradition. In fact, the motoring press of the day found its only fault to be minimal torque steer, particularly in earlier versions.
The 164 was designed to compete in the executive car segment dominated by the German cars. It offered better value for money in terms of technology (having three onboard computers, one for air conditioning, one for instrumentation, and one for engine management; air conditioning and instrument functions shared a multiple-mode coded Z-80-class microcontroller for dashboard functioning). Air-direction within the ventilation system was controlled by a pair of servomechanisms.
The car had some very advanced features for its day, such as automatic climate control and electronically controlled damping suspension (in the top-line Cloverleaf models and 164 LS). This suspension actively reduced damping in response to conditions to provide a dynamic compromise between road holding and comfort. The 164 also boasted engines rated among the best in the industry at the time, and the same basic engine designs were used until very recently by Alfa Romeo across its model range.
SPECIFICATION BY "CATEGORY"
- 2,959 cc 3 liter 6 V front transverse engine with 93 mm bore, 72.6 mm stroke, 10 compression ratio, double overhead cam and four valves per cylinder
- Premium unleaded fuel
- Fuel economy EPA highway (l/100km): 9.8
- Multi-point injection fuel system
- 65 liter fuel tank
- Power: 240 HP @ 6,300 rpm; 198 ft. lb. @ 5,000 rpm
- Four disc brakes including two ventilated discs
- Space saver spare wheel
- Strut front suspension with stabilizer bar , rear suspension with stabilizer bar independent with coil springs
- CFC free liquid air conditioning with climate control (Blows ice cold in this Alfa)
- Power antenna
- Anti-theft protection
- Front illuminated ashtray , additional row seats ashtray
- Stereo audio system with AM/FM
- Cargo area light
- Cargo capacity: rear seat up; to lower window (liters)
- Front seats illuminated cigar lighter , rear seats illuminated cigar lighter , additional row seats Cigar lighter
- Digital clock
- Floor full console with covered storage box
- Delayed/fade courtesy lights with four switches
- Cruise control
- Door ajar warning
- Door pockets/bins for driver seat, passenger seat and rear seats
- External temperature display
- Floor covering: carpet in load area
- Driver and passenger front airbag
- Bucket seats
- Reel height adjustable front seat belts on driver seat and passenger seat
- Front seat center armrest
- Lockable illuminated glove compartment with lid
- Height adjustable head restraints on front seats and rear seats
- Internal dimensions: front headroom (mm): 970, rear headroom (mm): 930, front hip room (mm): 1,461, rear hip room (mm): 1,461, front leg room (mm): 998, rear leg room (mm): 861, front shoulder room (mm): 1,433, rear shoulder room (mm): 1,438 and interior volume (liters): 2,413
- Low fuel level warning
- Remote power locks
- Vehicle speed proportional power steering
- Front, rear and front power windows
- Front and rear reading lights
- Reel rear seat belts on driver side , reel rear seat belts on passenger side , static rear seat belts on center side
- Rear seat center armrest
- Seating for three in rear
- Automatic operation rear view mirror
- Electric remote fuel filler door release
- Electric remote trunk/hatch release
- Front seat back storage
- Total Seating: Five
- Leather seat upholstery
- Six speaker stereo
- Leather covered steering wheel
- Passenger illuminated vanity mirror
- Ventilation system with variable fan speeds and recirculation setting
- Body side molding
- Front and rear body color impact absorbing bumpers
- Chrome/bright trim on side of body and on bumpers
- Coefficient of drag: 0.3
- Driver and passenger power heated body color door mirrors
- External dimensions: overall length (mm): 4,666, overall width (mm): 1,760, overall height (mm): 1,389, wheelbase (mm): 2,659, front track (mm): 1,514, rear track (mm): 1,488 and curb to curb turning circle (mm): 10,790
- Front fog lights
- High pressure headlight cleaners
- Halogen bulb headlights
- Gloss paint
- Rear window
- Front steel electric tilting sliding sunroof
- Tinted glass
- Weights: gross vehicle weight rating (kg) 1,969 and curb weight (kg) 1,548
- Two-speed windshield wipers with variable intermittent wipe
THIS PARTIUCLAR 1995 ALFA ROMEO 164 LS
- 107,294 well maintained California miles!
- Difficult to find 164 LS version
- 5 Speed
- Serviced by respected Continental Motors, Sunnyvale, CA (Ferrari, Alfa servicing facility) - Receipts included (Refer to mechanical section for details)
- Well sorted, reliable example
- Runs & drives extremely well
- 100% original with no modifications (Original Alfa radio replaced with new radio CD unit and new speakers but original radio included)
- Very straight rust free California car with excellent paint - Factory correct red color (Russo))
- Exterior, interior, trunk & engine bay reflect "enthusiast care"
- NO signs of rust on body, undercarriage, trunk or engine bay
- Undercarriage and all frame members show no indication of present or previous damage
- Recent mechanical work including timing belt, complete tune-up, brakes and smog
- A/C (and automatic temperature feature) works perfectly and blows very cold
- Original Owner's Manual included
Having traveled just over 107,000 miles (Under 6,000 miles per year!) and always "living" in California, the Alfa is in beautiful condition. The exterior has the appearance of a considerably new vehicle and the paint, body, trim, glass and other exterior components are in excellent condition. The car received a repaint in its factory original color within the last few years and the Alfa 164 LS shows very well indeed. There is virtually no over-spray on the trim and the paint is laid flat, free from significant orange peel or other defects and the car was painted as a "complete" (no partial painting of panels, etc.). The 164 LS is striking and the photos accurately reflect its condition inside and out.
Alfa Romeo's (and many other vehicles) carried permanent stickers on various panels (fenders, doors, front and rear bumper cover, and rear quarter panels) in order to determine originality and be able to ascertain if any accident damage has resulted in replacement of a panel (s). We look for these "Numbers" not only for the sake of originality but also to ensure that the car has not been involved in an accident. We are pleased to report that this Alfa has the original numbers on the rear quarter panels, all 4 doors, and both front fenders and the bumper (refer to photo in listing). The front and rear bumpers are free from any damage, significant imperfections or damage. Please take a look at the photographs that show the car was a suburban car and not subjected to the parking realities of big city life.
The exterior trim is all original and in what we often refer to as "California condition." The trim is devoid of all but the most minor imperfections that can be expected on a vehicle of this vintage, none of which detract from the overall appearance and attractiveness of the Alfa. The glass is excellent, all of the power windows are functional and there are no stars or cracks in the windshield. The mirrors do not show the typical rock chips and the front spoiler is free from the usual major scrapes and damage and in very nice condition.
The interior on the Alfa Romeo is in lovely condition and shows minimal signs of wear due to the cars low mileage. There are some signs of patina of fine leather on the driver's side seat but the seat remains totally free from any rips, tears or damage to the seat bolster. This is a rarity with the relatively high bolstered sport style seating found in the Alfa 164 LS. The passenger seat, rear seats, door panels, dash, headliner, carpet (covered with carpeted mats) and other interior components are excellent.
The Alfa remains 100% stock including with the exception of a considerably improved radio that was mounted in the stock radio opening. Recently, the owner added new quality speakers in their stock openings to eliminate the "rattling" from older, broken speakers (receipts included). The system sounds great but does not have obtrusive aftermarket speakers added to the interior.
The instrumentation is totally stock and, unlike many Alfa's of this vintage, all of the instruments work fine as does the air conditioning, cruise control and warning light system. The automatic air condition system appears is fully functional due, in part, to ongoing maintenance by the car's owner who took a "cost no object" approach to the cars care. The LCD digital display readings show only partial numbers at some settings, a common reality with the older 164's. The power sunroof works fine as do the windows, door locks, remote mirrors and fully adjustable electric seats (both sides).
In a word, excellent. This Alfa Romeo runs very strong and has been serviced by one of the most respected Italian repair facilities in the San Francisco Bay area. Receipts for replacement of the timing belt, brakes, O2 sensor, starter relay, #2 coil and other work are included and outlined below.
The Car Fax records also support the mileage and ownership history and show no adverse findings. Documentation in our file supports their knowledge of the car and the recent repairs and upgrades as follows (not all listed; just recent work totaling over $3,000.00 within 1,000 miles):
- New tires & balance (Within 100 miles!)
- Safety inspection (within 50 miles)
- New Timing Belt & tensioners (within 1,000 miles)
- New front brakes (Within 1,000 miles)
- Replace #2 coil (within 1,000 miles)
- New O2 Sensor Within 1,000 miles)
- New starter relay (within 1,000 miles)
- Regular Service
- New Hood Struts
- New Wiper blades
- Replacement battery
- Replacement ignition switch
- Passed Smog
DRIVING THE ALFA ROMEO 164 LS
The Alfa 164 was always a great sports sedan to drive but the "S" version offers even more enjoyment. In all ranges the car offers excellent performance and pulls very strong and without hesitation. The car revs freely and upon hard acceleration there is controllable / mild torque steer due to the front wheel drive configuration of the Alfa. The idle is smooth and even and the car has recently passed the stringent California smog test.
Driving the Alfa is really a pleasure. There are no signs of mechanical issues and there is no noise in the drive-line. The clutch is excellent, the transmission shifts very well, the synchromesh gears are excellent (even at higher speeds) and the car is fitted with matching Michelin tires and original "telephone dial" Alfa Romeo wheels. The car steers straight, stops straight and has excellent brakes. An inspection of the underside of the car is clean and free from rust and any signs of previous repair or accidents. We encourage a review of the photos as the old adage "A photo is worth a thousand words" clearly applies in this instance! All of the electrical components are fully functional and the car passed California's strict safety inspection for lights, turn signals, wipers, within the previous week. The car is licensed and registered in California until March, 2014 and, of course, has a free and clear California title with no liens or encumbrances.
The trunk and engine bay are very clean and consistent with the condition of the car's exterior and interior quality and the original Alfa insignia mat is in place and in very good condition. Under the mat are the properly secured spare tie / wheel and the cars original jack.
We often times receive questions that go something like: "Does the car really look as good as it does in the photographs"? The answer in this case is yes. This car is a very attractive example of the difficult to locate 164 LS Alfa Romeo. Perhaps most important, this is an opportunity to own a truly unique and original Alfa 164 LS that offers great handling, looks and performance at a very attractive price.
We have owned a number of 164's along with more Alfa's than we can count and would be glad to discuss the car with those who may not be familiar with the benefits of an Alfa vs. other Marques (BMW's, Saab's, Volvo's). Please give us a call if we can answer any questions. We can be reached during regular business hours at 925-846-1451. We also encourage inspections and would welcome the opportunity to meet you and show you this fantastic Alfa Romeo 164 LS.
MISCELLANEOUS GENERAL INFORMATION
- We have been shipping vehicles for years and have established excellent contacts that are not only high quality but very price competitive. We do not use brokers, terminal shipping or other discount methods. Call us or email for a quote directly to your home or office. We are often able to obtain quality enclosed transportation (the kind of travel this car deserves) for the cost of open shipping.
- As with virtually all collector/specialty vehicles, we find that parts and resources are readily available for this (and most every vehicle), thanks in large part to the Internet!
- In addition to the purchase price of the vehicle, California buyers will be subject to sales tax, documentation fee, DMV transfer fees and license/registration. Out-of-state buyers will be responsible for the purchase price of the vehicle and any local taxes/fees will be the purchaser's responsibility to pay in their respective state. IMPORTANT NOTE: if the vehicle is delivered or driven in California and driven on California roads, sales-tax, license registration and transfer fees will be assessed per California law.
- While we encourage telephone calls to discuss this vehicle in greater detail we will not respond to inquiries asking "What is the reserve". Also, if you would prefer that we call you to answer any questions about the vehicle; shipping alternatives, etc. please e-mail us with your telephone number and will gladly get back in touch with you.
- As with any vehicle of this vintage we are unable to provide a warranty or guarantee of condition. However, we make every effort to accurately represent our vehicles, and highlight both positive items as well as areas that require attention. We ask that prospective buyers consider our eBay history/feedback, standing in the community, length of time in business, and other factors when purchasing a collectible vehicle from Classic Cars Ltd.
- Please keep in mind that minor cosmetic issues/flaws may be present on every vehicle (regardless of cost) including small chips, nicks, scratches, etc. that can be seen on even the best restoration, or even a relatively new, used "pre-owned" vehicle. Also, ownership of a collectible / specialty vehicle is more enjoyable if the owner is familiar with the "realities" of these unique cars. Unlike more modern day vehicles, these cars require regular, ongoing care / maintenance and some mechanical knowledge, patience, and understanding can make the experience considerably more pleasant. That said, collector / "specialty" car owners will tell you (emphatically) that they love their cars and wouldn't trade them for anything!!
- The information contained in this description is believed to be accurate but, in some instances, has been provided by the car's owner / owners or outside sources. As a result, we are unable to guarantee the accuracy of the information. We encourage verification of "numbers" and significant data prior to the purchase of any collector vehicle that you are considering.
PURCHASING A COLLECTOR VEHICLE - THINGS TO CONSIDER
As always, we recommend that you carefully review the seller's background of any collector car being sold over the Internet. We believe that it is important to ask yourself a number of questions including, but not limited to:
- How long have they been in business?
- How much experience do they have with collector cars?
- How many positive collector car vehicle sales have completed (positive eBay feedback)?
- How detailed/complete is the description of the vehicle?
- Do the photos show details of the interior, exterior, top, chrome, etc. or are they simply "Glamour Shots" taken from a distance?
- Does the seller have a Surety Bond to protect the financial transaction?
- What about insurance, licensing by the state, and a local business license?
- Does the seller (if a business) have any DMV (Motor Vehicle) complaints and/or other history of legal action, grievances?
- Does the seller enjoy a favorable local and national/international reputation?
- Can the seller assist with funding sources, transport and out of state/country sales?
ABOUT CLASSIC CARS LTD.
Classic Cars Ltd. has been in the same, small, California town for close to 20 years. We operate a small "brick & mortar", indoor showroom, and specialize in the sale, consignment, and purchase of sports, high performance and specialty vehicles of all types. We have a particular interest in sports cars and unique vehicles.
- The majority of our vehicles come from local, private owners and collectors, and many were sold new in California. We appreciate that rust free cars, with excellent documentation and history are especially attractive to our buyers both locally, and around the country. As a result, we do not purchase our collectible cars from "distressed" sales, such as wholesale auctions, salvage sales, or lien sales. We do not sell vehicles with salvage titles, or those that have a history of significant accident damage or repair.
- Please review our feedback on eBay (user name Never22Many) representing over 725+ positive transactions to buyers all over the United States / World.
- We are fully insured, bonded, and licensed for collector car sales all over the United States/World.
- Classic Cars Ltd. carries a $50,000 Surety bond to cover financial transactions
- We enjoy excellent relationships with a number of transport companies and, as a result, can often times obtain preferred pricing for vehicle shipping. Please give us a call and we will be glad to refer you to suitable transport companies. Needless to say, we would recommend a quality, enclosed transporter that is experience with moving high quality, collectible cars.
- We frequently sell vehicles to out of State / out of country buyers, and will be glad to provide references for buyers in your area.
Classic Cars Ltd.
Body Type / Style: Sedan
Exterior Color: Red (Rosso)
Interior Color: Tan Leather
Engine: 6 Cylinder
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual
3-Point Seat Belts
California Lic & Reg
Dual Side Mirrors
Factory Air Conditioning
Factory Bucket Seats
Factory Original Spare / Tools
Heated Front Seats
Matching Numbers Engine
Matching Numbers Transmission
Meets All USA Standards
No Rust CA. Body
Original Jack & Tools
Original Owners Manual
Passed Strict CA. Smog
Runs / Drives Very Well
Sway Bars (Front & Rear)
It’s rather uncommon to see one of these LS models painted in Alfa Red. Usually this arresting color was reserved for the Q model. Nevertheless, I’ve always admired the Pininfarina styling on these sport sedans. Two decades later, these cars still look fresh and offer an affordable used alternative to the more common second hand luxury cars people tend to go for. A late model 164 in good condition will run you somewhere between $6,000 and $10,000, with the rarer Q models bringing a bit more if you can find one in outstanding condition. I’d suspect this one might bring somewhere in between $6,500 and $7,000 to the right buyer, since it has the manual transmission and a history of being maintained by a specialist.